25 Mar 30 FAVORITE SXSW MOMENTS: MUSIC + PHILANTHROPY + STYLE
South By Southwest is a 30-year-old, annual music festival hosted in the beautiful city of Austin, Texas. The festival combines interactive, film, and music. Music is our Weapon spent the past week in Austin for the music portion of the festival and we have some awesome highlights we’d like to share with you. Here are 20 of our favorite SXSW Music moments.
1. When NoMBe completely crushed their set and the entire crowd fell in love.
2. When Troye Sivan awed the audience with his charming personality and gorgeous pop tunes.
— Mary @theprintedword (@theprintedword) March 20, 2016
3. When Masego destroyed his set with his incredible saxophone playing, dance moves, and humor.
4. When Santigold brought on some screaming fans to dance with her.
— Eric Webb (@webbeditor) March 19, 2016
5. When Sofie Winterson impressed the crowd with her one-man show.
A photo posted by Tan The Man (@realtantheman) on
6. When Lapsley amused everyone with her breathtaking vocals, and amazing James Blake-esque production.
— Hon Lam (@honsololam) March 18, 2016
7. When Gilligan Moss learned the Texas two step.
A video posted by Gilligan Moss (@gilliganmoss) on
8. When Drake showed up to SXSW.
— J.T. (@jayteeflores) March 20, 2016
9. When Zander brought the bass and breaks to Scratch House.
— Kerri Olsen (@kerriolsen) March 24, 2016
10. When Charles Bradley left the crowd speechless with his humble and amazing performance.
— Casey Lee (@caseyaustinlee) March 20, 2016
11. When Ishi wore the coolest outfit we’ve ever seen. Oh, and they rocked the house and gained new fans.
A photo posted by Ashley Brightwell (@smashcity) on
12. When Erykah Badu blew everyone’s mind….because it’s Erykah Badu.
— Happie Hoffman (@HappieH) March 17, 2016
13. When Kill J showed up and sang some of the highest vocals we’ve heard.
A photo posted by Music Is Our Weapon (@miowgram) on
14. When Young Futura brought out a disco ball, dancers, and incredible energy to their first ever live performance.
A video posted by Young Futura (@youngfutura) on
15. When Moodymann got the entire club rockin’.
— LAMBDA (@LAMBDA_SCR) March 19, 2016
16. When Mobley handed out drum sticks to the audience so they could play along.
Drum / Circle. The Music is Our Weapon show last night was amazing, but @mobleywho was on another level! He played at least 4 different instruments AND at one point handed out drumsticks to the audience to play along with him! #absolutely #incredible #sxsw2016 #MusicIsOurWeapon @miowgram
A video posted by Hal Riley (@halriley) on
17. When Bronze Whale played brand new music and the crowd went wild.
— Joseph Noctum (@JosephNoctum) March 20, 2016
18. When Anderson Paak, sang, rapped, and played the drums during all 13 shows.
— Vinyl Me, Please (@VinylMePlease) March 17, 2016
19. When Khai entranced the audience with his vocals and amazing white leather jacket.
— Bronze Whale (@BronzeWhale) March 20, 2016
20. When DEAN sang Put My Hands On You and everyone melted.
— Michelle K. Dinh (@mkdinh) March 25, 2016
SXSW is definitely a place for fun, but it also is a platform with an opportunity to give back. We made sure to spend some time during our week in Austin giving back, and we were pleasantly surprised to see how many other artists and attendants were eager to take time out of their busy SXSW experience to give back to those in need. Here are some of our favorite philanthropic moments.
21. When NoMBe joined Music Is Our Weapon and went on a Music Outing to help patients with Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
When words fail, music can make that vital connection. Not just between people, but with a former self in a way. Alzheimer’s can be brutal and has more than one victim in each case, but #MusicIsOurWeapon and @AutumnLeavesMemoryCare made it their mission to make music accsessible at any point to victims of Alzheimer’s in over 44 institutions. Yesterday was one of the greatest experiences of my life and I thank you for letting me be a part of the #autumnleavesproject . follow them at @miowgram #sxsw2016
A photo posted by Producer/Artist (@nombemusic) on
22. When a ton of people helped put together care packages for the homeless.
— The Ally Coalition (@allycoalition) March 17, 2016
23. When Khai met Gene, a patient with Alzheimer’s and helped bring some sunlight into his day through music.
This is Gene! He’s 84 and suffers from Alzheimer’s disease. Today I visited @autumnleavesmemorycare with @miowgram to listen to some tunes with residents and see if music really is the medicine of the mind. Gene grew up in the 40-50’s and listened to artists like Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Bing Crosby, and the Beatles. Today we were jamming and it’s amazing to see how much life a tune can bring out in a person with Alzheimer’s. If you have a family member that suffers from this disease, show them love and share some familiar music with them!
A photo posted by Khai (@khaitunes) on
24. When we spent two days, back to back, with Autumn Leaves Memory Care and some of our SXSW showcase artists (Young Futura, Khai, and NoMBe), bringing music to patients with Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
Can’t thank the @miowgram crew enough for one of the most memorable experiences ever at Autumn Leaves of Georgetown and Autumn Leaves of Northwest Austin this week! Bringing the power of music and personalized playlists to our residents 🎤🎹🎸💕 #autumnleavesproject #miow #sxsw #musictherapy
A photo posted by Autumn Leaves (@autumnleavesmemorycare) on
25. When Jacquelline Fuller, Director of Google.org, discussed Disruptive Philanthropy in the Digital World.
— Craig A (@CraigAnzalone) March 17, 2016
By: Ashley Nicole Smith, IG: @ashley_nicole9091
SXSW, one of the most anticipated music festivals to experience with your fellow music and art lovers. There’s nothing better than jamming out to stellar musicians and catching sight of the unique style that everyone brings to Austin. Here are our top five looks we saw this year!
A photo posted by Angela Humphrey (@angela_humphrey) on
A photo posted by Claire Saldaña (@theclairesaldana) on
A photo posted by Adriana (@ana_gold) on